Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Apple Peels And Bread Crusts

I don’t like it at all when children think they can’t eat bread crusts or apple peelings. If you never tell them that its not as good as the rest of the bread or the apple they won’t know. Here at the children’s home if some one doesn’t eat their crusts we’re just like, “ Hey, finish your bread.” and we might add a bit more butter or jelly to help it go down better but the kids just eat it up. They just think its part of their bread and oops forgot to eat it all. Even Veronika and Julien practice on bread crusts when they have a chance.

Apples are a very rare and special treat and when I go to the states I like to bring some and feed them to the kids. They all love apples but they think the peeling is a rind and eat the middle out like an orange and then we say, “Hey, eat the rest of your apple, that part is for eating too.” and then they chew it down and love every bite.

I personally believe that as a whole each person should be responsible to eat their own crusts and peelings but now and then there is a reason someone can’t. For example, Came Suze who has difficulty with chewing could choke and die if I fed her a bread crust or apple with peelings and Veronika who only has two tiny teeth on the bottom although she likes to practice hasn’t quite the ability to chew tough stuff. Now it just so happens that both of these girls are my charges so:

When there is fresh, warm bread for supper guess what happens. I dine on crusts alone and my girls dine on warm, soft middles saturated with sourwood honey.

And again when I bring apples home and cut them in thin slices so they can safely eat them, I end up nibbling off all the peelings while they savor the sweet, crispy insides.

That just the way it is when you’re a mom.152 070

1 comment:

Amy said...

A side benefit of eating crusts n peelings, is that supposedly you'll get nice pink cheeks. (or so Grossmomy always said)