Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Potential Growth

So I got to ride in a nifty little car with Myron who is dating my niece Karen. I needed a lift  from the cemetery back to the church where we would all gather to eat lunch together so hopping into Myron’s car was a convenient way to get to know who is dating my niece. Halfway through the 20 minute drive, after I had figured out he was a safe and responsible driver, I cleared my throat and Karen shifted in her seat. I launched into my questions and Karen moved again and gave a nervous giggle. Myron answered straight, like a man. And I was favorably impressed. Maybe he’s not an imposter after all, sneaking in trying to snitch my niece!! Because for some reason that was the first first thing I thought when I heard about Karen going out on her first date a number of months ago. Maybe its normal for aunts to go through that feeling when the nieces and nephews grow up and begin to have relationships outside of the safe family circle. Relationships that have the potential to lead to life long commitments and new sprouts on the family tree. In my big, loud, funny, dysfunctional, Yoder family we all got each other’s backs and we want to know as much as possible about the suitors who come along. Are they a good fit? How will they blend in with all our weirdness?
And so our family tree stays green and growing. It spreads its older branches farther towards the sky, the roots go down deeper and new shoots appear to eventually sprout into branches and grow more green and fruitful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We want a photo of him.