Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Coffee

So when my sister Amy was here her and I along with Veronika, Sulley and Ellen went to Jimani D.R. for a night and a precious day. Oh, it was so fun!! It just ministered to my heart, I almost cried.

We stayed at a pleasant hotel on the edge of town; pretty basic but very clean and good service. Maybe the service was a bit too good because this is what happened and my Amy almost took my head off over it:

At breakfast time the server asked if we needed coffee and we said we did because we all love coffee. How our little hearts thrilled when he came with a big round platter bearing the cutest coffee cups and saucers we had ever seen! We eagerly took them, lifted them to our lips and WHOA, almost blew through the thatched roof pavilion!! It was so strong it actually almost took the skin off your teeth. Seriously, it wasn’t even funny. We asked for milk; they didn’t have any right away but soon someone on a moto came with some. So then we could drink it without our faces puckering but I have to say it wasn’t exactly the most pleasant brew I’ve ever had. That was all fine and good, the problem came in the afternoon when Amy, Ellen and I were sitting outside playing a game.

Our ever helpful server steps over and asks me if we’d like to have some beer. I said, “ No Thanks.” Next he asked if we wanted tea but we didn’t, then it was offers for coke then other soda but we didn’t want ANYTHING. Finally when he was once again sweeping past us carrying the coffee tray to someone else and I happened to look up at the wrong time and he caught my eye and asked with his head if we wanted coffee I just felt too sorry for him to say no again so I gave a little nod of acceptance thinking he would bring one cup for me. His face lit up and in mere minutes he was standing beside our table with full service coffee for three minus the milk and unfortunately this time we were out of luck- there really was no milk. Amy looked at me like she was seeing horns growing from my head and Ellen grew pale… I gave them a fierce look and then turned and politely accepted the adorable cups full of murky brew.

 As soon as the server departed Amy’s mouth started and it didn’t stop for a long time. She could NOT understand why, of all things, I would order coffee when I knew it was so awful. If I wanted something why didn’t I at least order something good? Well, for one I did NOT order it I just simply gave a slight nod of agreement and I had no idea he was going to bring it for everyone. And anyway I think it was probably very healthy for us. But like I said, Amy almost took my head, she kept murmuring dark threats under and over her breath and I never did hear the last of how I ORDERED coffee for everyone, coffee that was strong enough to blow you into next week!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You got the real coffee and it needs loads of sugar before a person can drink it. Then there is no going to sleep until the following week.

Naomi said...

OH MY! I wish I could serve you the gourmet coffee that grows on the mountain behind my house, gets roasted a mile down the road, brewed to perfection in my kitchen and served with real cane sugar and raw cream........ with a soft, fat cinnamon roll on the side, just oozing with caramel frosting. :) On a different note, I know how you feel to get out and vacation...it's something only other missionaries understand, and you described it very well. So glad you got to go and take Amy along to add some, um, spice?!