Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What Jesus Said To Me

Over the weekend I got to spend time with some lovely friends – welcoming in the new year! It was so refreshing to get away from my normal life and enjoy quiet, sleep, talks, bonding… with out thinking I should be doing this or that.

One thing Jesus said to me was to stop wishing I could be doing more and greater things. I know he has told me that before and I keep forgetting- It was really impressed on me the night I was up on the roof top with about 20 other youth welcoming in 2012. In the light of the moon I looked around at us, a group of regular, normal young people drawn together in our desire to spread the love of God to the world around us. And this is what I was thinking:

Who are we to represent Jesus, the sinless, blameless, King of Kings, the Son of God? None of us are great Dr.s or preachers or experienced teachers of the word. I don’t think any of us have any credentials to boast of. (1 Cor. 1:26) I think  most of  us would consider what we are doing to be very small. We think of things we could do for God that would be “greater” and yet it is the small things that make up the great things. If everyone of us is faithful in doing our small part it adds up to make the body of Christ function and bring forth a hundred-fold. That is how Jesus is. Jesus is everything. And so when we are following God we might be called upon at times to do “big” “ great” things but the majority of us will mostly be doing things like giving a glass of water, doing laundry, brushing out an old lady’s matted hair, exchanging money, counting pills, cooking, making beds, changing diapers, singing songs or reading stories, slipping a cookie through the back fence to cheer a little boy’s heart… tiny touches of love. But when everyone spreads their share it adds up to a whole lot of Jesus love.

For me personally- God has given me the gift of nurturing, a hefty dose of maternal instinct. He has also given me the command to care for the orphans and widows, poor and needy, to spread his love… I had a picture in my mind of what that looked like; I forgot that my picture might not be God’s picture. I struggle with the desire to fill my picture or dream, there is so much need, so many children who need a mother, so many who need to feel the touch of Jesus love in their weary hearts. I feel frustrated. But God is saying to me, “ Wait a minute.” “ I need you right now to love and care for these five.”

I’m like, “ ONLY FIVE? “ then God said, “ Mary, Remember the five loaves and two fishes they were all the little boy had and yet five thousand were fed with twelve baskets left over.”  (Matt. 14:17-21) God said, “ Give me all your love, Mary, and while it looks to you like you are only caring for five I can take that and multiply it by thousands.” “ I just need you to do your small part and fulfill my dream that I have for you one step at a time.” “ Some day you will see the whole picture.”

So my only resolution for 2012 is to know God better so that our five little children here at the children’s home will know God better so that everyone their lives touch will know God better…

Dec. 2011 045Dec. 2011 015pics for the website 009Nov. 2011 089pics for the website 008

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mary you are doing a big thing and you are exactly where God needs you right now. You were created for this. And I LOVE your resolution! It was mine as well :) God showed me that it is the one important thing. Everything else flows from that. I enjoy your blog, following your God adventures, your life from far away. You are so being used by God!! I never see you anymore but I still care about the first real friend I ever had. Much love and Happy New Year!
-Sadie

Anonymous said...

Mary thank u ever so much for taking the time to write and remind us all that fulfillment comes from doing exactly what God wants us each of us to do in our corner of the earth.
i also loved the pics of the kids! they all have a special place in my heart since being there!!
love u all... sarah brubacher

Sheila said...

Hey, thanks alot for posting this blog. That was such a special weekend and all the good talks. I was real encouraged how you wrote about the little things and how dear they are to God's heart. God Bless You!