Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanksgiving Day

We’ve never taken the children on an outing specifically for them so on Thanksgiving day that’s what we did. Our choices are of course very limited but Matt knew of a little amusement park with some rides but when we checked it out it wasn’t open anymore. So we ended up driving up to the beautiful mountains of Petion-ville to a mission where they have a little petting zoo and restaurant where you can buy banana splits larger than your stomach!!

Us girls don’t get out much at all so it was a real treat for all of us. It was so relaxing and refreshing to get some fresh air outside of our little compound. The mountains were just gorgeous!! And at the mission there were beautiful flowers and brilliant green plants. The air was cool- such a nice change from the stuffy town air we always breathe here at home.

Julien obviously isn’t used to riding in vehicles and gets carsick!! We had just gotten a good start down the road when suddenly without warning he emptied the contents of his stomach, and his stomach isn’t that small, all over the car and all over me. A whole bunch soaked into my skirt and ran down over my foot and in between my toes, gross!! Thankfully it didn’t smell; probably because he had just finished drinking a bunch of water.

The vomit should have been a forewarning to me about my day!! Soon after the vomit incident: Veronika was sitting on my lap and suddenly I felt something warm and wet soaking through my skirt onto my legs!! That was gross too!! Then when we got there I wanted to get out of the car and somehow I tripped and came crashing out headfirst onto the pavement! What an entrance!! I skinned my foot up a bit but nothing too bad. And the whole day I was having bad stomach pains and diarrhea; swallowing charcoal pills and praying fervently.

But in spite of those little incidents which all had to happen to one person. It was a very happy and fun day!

Here are some eager little boys nestled into the back, yes, I know they should be in car seats but that is not how we do here.

135 

Here are some pictures we took at the zoo:

103102113109

And here we are with our kids, all except Came Suze:

080130199

Veronika loves pretty flowers:

208209

She really dug into the food too! I gave her chicken nuggets, fries and a small container of ketchup and she thought it was the best thing she’s ever had in her life. She would take a fry or piece of chicken and just plunge it deep down into the ketchup before putting it in her mouth!

133213

And then came those amazing banana splits!! Veronika doesn’t usually get to eat sweet like that but I decided I would let her for a special treat. She dug into that ice cream and with every bite she would say,” Mmmmm, mmmm,” and take deep breaths like she was trying to squeeze all the pleasure out of it!

216091082

On the way home Sulley made Julien wear his plastic bib with a  big pocket in case of vomit!

100

And not  a sound did we hear from the back!

098099

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh!! Looks like you guys had sooo much fun! I'm glad you could do this for the kids and yourself. Julia

rachel said...

Haiti has a zoo! Wow! Where is Come Suze? I am glad those little boys could go to the zoo and have some treats.

Keith said...

Why would you put a child through the emotional pain of that plastic bib just to keep potential vomit off your lap?

After all you live in Haiti don't you? LOL!

It just me, I am only kidding.

Sulley said...

Keith this was on the way home. Can you imagine yourself with vomit like 3 hours before you get home and been on a small car that doesnt sound to good of a smell to me. And yes we live in Haiti but am still an American and i believe on been clean!!

Sulley said...

But besides all I sure had a lot of fun! All in All it was a very great Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!!!